Feedback from SBC Clients
We understand that people may be nervous about seeking treatment for sexual interest in children or other problematic sexual interests/behaviours. Most of our clients feel that way when they first come to the Sexual Behaviours Clinic (SBC), but they quickly realize that they've come to the right place. To give you a more personal perspective, we asked clients attending group therapy to anonymously write down how they felt about the groups and their treatment in the SBC.
This is what they had to say...
I wish I'd known about treatment sooner:
- “If I had known about this group I would never have went down the path I did.”
- “It might have made a difference for me if I knew that there was a program available for people like me. Also, that there was a program that really, really worked!!"
- “Incredible + informative. I wish I knew this group existed before I offended. It brings hope, guidance and change to my life and that of my loved ones.”
Treatment really works:
Groups are non-judgmental:
You find out you're not alone:
- “The group therapy sessions are so helpful as well. You find out that you’re not alone, and you see other guys succeeding. It becomes apparent that everyone can be a success, if they work at it.”
- “I like that the others in the group have dealt with some of the same issues I am dealing with, and have ideas and thoughts on how to solve issues I’m dealing with.”
- “Having had very few friends with no external supports before coming here to groups, I was at a high level of risk for offending. Coming to groups has given me more confidence, and some basic tools to help me develop some better supports.”
- “Peer support, professional advice, people who are going through and struggling through the same things you are can be very encouraging and supportive. I do recommend this group.”
- “I didn’t think they’d be able to help me but they did. I used to feel unlucky, and alone; now I feel healthy, strong, and I know I’m not alone.”
- “I don’t think I could have made it without the groups. The main thing for me was to hear where others were in their lives and how they were doing good or bad. This helped me realize where I had been and how far I could go in the future.”
- “When you’re in a situation where you feel guilt and shame, it’s helpful to have others who have been through the same; you have a sounding board.”
- “When you meet with others who want to change and do better with themselves, it makes it easier to make those changes come about.”
- “Knowing that we are not alone, hearing other people speak about what they went through and how they dealt with situations helps others to do the same.”
“If you’re considering treatment, Dr. Fedoroff is the man to see.”
- Find out how you can get treatment for a sexual interest in children by participating in The Prevention Study, a research project being conducted in the SBC.
- If you want to get treatment for a sexual interest in children or other problematic sexual interests/behaviours without participating in research, check out the Referrals page.
- La Clinique des Comportements Sexuels offre des traitements en français pour divers intérêts sexuels problématiques. Pour les services en français, cliquez ici.